Documents for PF and ESI Registration
The Act applies to:
- Every establishment which is a factory engaged in any industry specified in Schedule I to the act, and in which 20 or more persons are employed; and
- Any other establishment which employs 20 or more persons or class of such establishments which the Central Government may, by notification in Official Gazette specify in the behalf
- Any other establishment so notified by the Central Government even if employing less than 20 persons. (after giving not less than 2 months' notice in this behalf)
Every establishment must register themselves under PF if the number of employees in the establishment at any time during the previous year reaches 20 or more. (5 in the case of seasonal employers).
For further information on applicability to a class of employees, contribution rates, calculation examples, types and taxation of PF, refer to our article Provident Fund (PF)
Employers liable to get ESI registration
The Act applies to entities falling under Covered units.
Covered units are entities covered under Factory Act and Shops and Establishment Act where ten or more people are employed. (irrespective of their monthly earnings)
Under Section 1(5) of the Act, the scheme has been extended to shops, hotels, restaurants, cinemas, preview theatre, road motor transport undertakings and newspaper establishment employing 20 or more persons.
Note: Some states have twenty as the limit for the number of employees for the ESI scheme's eligibility.
For further information on applicability to employees, contribution rates, Contribution Period and Benefit Period, calculation examples refer to our article Employee State Insurance (ESI)
EPF registration procedure for employers
You may choose to register individually on respective portals of
Avail the facility of Shram Suvidha portal, which is a one-stop shop for Labour law compliance. Shram Suvidha Portal is an 'Ease of Doing Business' Labour Law Reform initiative by Ministry of Labour & Employment, Government of India.
Registrations Under Five Central Labour Acts can be obtained:
· The Employees Provident Funds and Miscellaneous Provision's Act (EPF) Act, 1952
- Employees' State Insurance Act (ESI) Act, 1948
- Contract Labour (Regulation and Abolition) Act, 1970
· Building and Other Construction Workers (BOCW) Act, 1996
- Inter-State Migrant Workmen (ISMW) Act, 1979
- License: (1) CLRA Act (2) ISMW Act
Access the facility of Shram Suvidha portal here https://shramsuvidha.gov.in/home
Certain documents required for PF and ESI registration are:
- Copy of the Company's Permanent Account Number (PAN)
· Copy of the proprietor's PAN (in the case of proprietorship concern)
· Copy of other statutory licenses in the name of the organization
· Address proof of Proprietor or Partner or Director of the company or organization
- Cheque leaf of the organization's bank account
· Copy of the first sale bill or job work bill and first purchase bill
· Digital Signature of the Proprietor or Partner or Director
Other details required:
- Name of the organization
- Date of establishment of the organization
- Address of the organization with proof
- List of Partners or Directors
· Email address & Mobile number of Proprietor or Partner or Director of the company.
· Monthly strength of employees from the date of establishment
The current list of employees with details of their:
- Father's Name
- Date of birth
- Date of joining
- Contact number
- Postal address
- Identification proof (Aadhaar and PAN)
- Bank account number with IFSC code
Two copies of each set of documents listed above are necessary.
The earlier procedure of submitting physical copy of Form 5A for new registrations and change in the ownership details is done away with. You can now submit it online by validating it with e-signature.
14B and 7Q payments
Damages and interest are applicable when payment of PF is made after the due date. Calculation and payment of damages under section 14B and interest against belated remittances under section 7Q can also be done online. The employer can know the dues immediately and accordingly make payments.
Employer Contribution towards Employee Pension Scheme (EPS)
The employer's contribution to the Employee Pension Scheme is now Rs.1,250 per month. This obligation is irrespective of the salary being above or below Rs.15,000 per month.
Employer forms for ESI
Employers’ Registration Form
Annual information of factory/establishment submission form
Return of Declaration forms
Return of contributions
Statement of advance payment of contributions
Register of employees
· The declaration forms of all coverable employees have to be filled and submitted to the regional offices as well
· Once registered under this Act, the employer will be provided with the Employer's Code or Employer's Number.
· This number is to be used for all related forms, documents and correspondences with the ESI Corporation (ESIC)
· In the case of newly appointed employees, they will have to fill and submit the declaration form to the concerned local office soon after the appointment.
Suppose a newly joined employee (mentioned above) do not yet have an identity card or identity certificate from the department. In that case, a certificate of employment as Form 86 can be issued to enable them to avail cash and / or medical benefits.